The Junie B. Jones book series by Barbara Parks is about a sassy kindergarten/ first-grader. She is always having trouble with her classmates and saying snotty things to people. She always wants her way and will do anything to make sure she gets it.
As you probably guessed, I do not like these books. Teachers are always saying that these are the best books to read for first and second graders. But are they really?
5 Reasons I do not like the Junie B. Jones Series
- They teach kids to be snotty and rude to everyone, especially adults.
- They teach that if you beg hard enough, you get what you want.
- They use bad grammar. For example, on the second page of one of the books, they use the words ‘bestest’ and ‘hided’. This would be ok if the audience for these books weren’t first and second graders, who are just learning grammar.
- When my sister had to read one for school, she acted rude after reading it.
- Junie is always calling people names. Do you want to give your kids ideas of mean names to call people???
So if you are the parent and you still want your kid to read them, make sure to read one yourself before letting them read them freely. JUDGE FOR YOURSELF!
If you want to take a closer look at these books, check them out here.
This is sooooooo helpful. You just saved this busy mom a TON of researching time. Thank you!
no prob 😉
I couldn’t agree more, Audrey! Glad you posted this honest assessment of this series. I can’t believe how teachers encourage this series to young children – it’s sugary candy that doesn’t nourish and gives you cavities! 😉
Wow that looks terrible, I can’t believe that teachers give these out as a reading assignment.
public school teachers these days… 😉
Our thoughts exactly! We got 1 from the library and that was the LAST one! We are liking Precious Girls Club by Precious Moments and Cul de Sac Kids series right now.
I’ve never read/ heard of those books! I’ll have to check them out…
Very honest opinion of what you read. Great insight, but I can’t believe your sister was ever rude! Keep this going, you’re blog is a great tool for both kids and parents.
thanks! (by the way, you haven’t seen her YET…) 😉
Love your assessment! I couldn’t agree more!
Audrey, if you are interested and your mom will be out this way one day we’ll be happy to loan you the Cul De Sac Kids and Precious Girls Club books we have. They aren’t at the libraries. We bought at Lifeway and from Amazon.